Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Plum Crazy


An early fall day. Sun shining. Out for a trail run through the woods with a couple of friends. Lunch after on the deck. Perhaps the final day to sit outside without a blanket. A bit chilly but the homemade carrot soup warmed us. Mmmmm. With a yummy arugula, chicken and bean salad on the side. Afterward, picking and eating the cutest tiny little plums directly from the tree. “You guys should take some home with you.” With pleasure, thank you! We were also invited to pick fresh pears and apples from our friend’s abundantly adorned trees. Heavenly!

Once home I contemplated what to do with the plums. I searched one of my favorite food blogs for recipes using these lovely gems. Lo and behold, there was a recipe for a plum galette! Of course! It sounded absolutely perfect. And, I had most of the ingredients on hand. 

Here’s what transpired:


Plums are rinsed and ready to be made into a simple galette.


Pitted? Check. Only a few were eaten during this stage. It is nearly impossible not to. And the entire time I was thinking, “I should have picked more!”


Ready for the oven!


Look at that bubbling gooey goodness. Just begging to be eaten.


Served with a generous dollop of Turkish yogurt and a drizzle of honey.


This galette was good to the last scrape... I nearly licked the plate, as you can see. Instead, I just enjoyed a second piece. :-) Why not?!

Recipe adapted from Mynewroots.org. Since I didn't have every ingredient, I merely used what I had on hand. Changed I made to the recipe included:

  • Spelt flour instead of rye.
  • Agave syrup instead of maple. 
  • Vanilla extract instead of scraped bean pod.
  • Probably 1/4 tsp of dried thyme instead of 1/2, but in the future I would use the whole 1/2 tsp, or plan ahead and use fresh. It was hardly detectable with only 1/4 tsp.
  • Turkish yogurt instead of sheep’s milk.
  • Added a drizzle of honey.

The crust tasted fresh and crisp without the heavy feeling of eating a crust made with butter. And I really loved the texture that the poppy seeds added. I drizzled honey over the top because I love honey with Turkish yogurt and there was so little “sugar” in the recipe. And I thought it was a good idea. 

It is worth noting that my husband ate only one slice of this galette. I pretty much finished it off/gobbled it down over the course of the next four days. 

I think it would be just as tasty with other fruit, if plums are not available or in season.

Happy fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment