Sunday, December 8, 2013

Homemade Christmas Cards


Last year I snatched up some of these pine tree discs that were scattered on the ground around the Christmas tree lots - leftovers from trimming the bottoms of Christmas trees that were on their way to new homes. I even went back on a separate day with an empty plastic bag to collect a few more, knowing that these little tree scraps would come in handy for a project, or two. I just had to wait for the inspiration to come. And come it did! The first wave of inspiration came last year when I made these cute little seasonal decor stands

The second wave of inspiration hit more recently however, when the idea suddenly hit me to make these cute little mini forests. Later I decided they would make the perfect build-your-own Christmas card. I hate to say it, but I had to pat myself on the back for this one. Sometimes when ideas like this come, the resulting product isn't at all what I envisioned. But these little tree forests turned out even cuter than I thought they would. 






You never really know with creative projects. Sometimes they turn out to be huge time and money wasters but sometimes they are the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, when an idea comes that will just not leave you alone, you have to go with it. I am really glad I went with this one. And I am equally glad that my packaging idea worked out as well. I found the perfect sized boxes to mail them in at a local office supply store, and they were on sale! Which is a small miracle in itself :-). 





I only wish I had thought of the idea sooner so that I could make and send even more of these little tree forests out into the world. 

Items needed for this project:

Scrap wood Christmas tree bottoms, or any other suitable wood item to act as a stand
Scrap paper from magazines, catalogues, etc.
A free-form tree template (I hand drew mine)
Glue stick
Toothpicks, cut in half with the pointy ends trimmed off
An awl, or pointy tool, to make holes in the bases for the toothpicks to stand in
Your imagination and a sense of adventure

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment