Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Write it Forward

(Anonymous)

Writing in cursive is something I've never felt I was very good at. When I was in grade school, other girls in my class could write beautiful, rounded letters while mine were wobbly and uneven. The more I tried to take my time and create neat, even letters, the worse they looked. I decided at some point that I was destined to become a doctor because, weIl, you know the stereotype. Of course it isn't true of all doctors and just because I've never liked my penmanship doesn't mean I can't try to improve it. Right? So I've decided to start practicing. 


I began by writing the alphabet. A capital A, a small letter a, a capital B, a small letter b, and so on. Funny enough. When I got to the end I couldn't remember how to write a capital Z! Thanks to Google however, just a couple of minutes later I was completing the final letter of the alphabet. As I examined my work, I discovered that I’d drawn my capital Q incorrectly as well. 


Looking over the results from my first practice session took me back to those days of my very first cursive writing attempts as a young girl. I definitely have my work cut out for me. There's no telling if I'll ever be able to write those beautiful, smooth, round letters I desire but I intend to keep practicing. Hopefully my efforts won’t be completely in vain and my writing will improve a little bit. 


Right now I am focusing on practicing the alphabet as well as writing short poems and quotes. Cursive writing seems to be on the verge of becoming a dying art. I am hoping that my feeble attempts to resurrect my cursive talents, and hopefully improve them, will inspire others (maybe you?) to do the same. So don’t be surprised if you receive a letter, handwritten in cursive of course, from me in the near future. Who knows, maybe you’ll even write me back. Or perhaps you’ll “write it forward” and write a letter (in cursive) to one of your friends or family members. 





What do you think? Do you like your own cursive handwriting? Do you still write in cursive? Perhaps it is old fashioned and perhaps printing letters is easier to read but I still think cursive handwriting is a beautiful art and one that I hope makes a comeback. Retro or not. 

Will you take the time with me to sit down and write someone a letter? In cursive script? 

Note: All quotes by e.e. cummings unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment