Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Creamy Kale with Parmesan and Pine Nuts


I have been a bit uninspired lately when it comes to blogging, in case you didn't notice. I am in the process of finding myself, blog-wise, and so posts may be a bit sporadic in days to come. My hope is that I not only find my inspiration again but also a more specific and focused blog goal. Things are definitely brewing....

As is this delicious recipe I recently came across, thanks to one of my lovely sisters-in-law, Maria. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. If you are trying to avoid dairy, I am sure this would still be delicious without the cream. You could try substituting a broth of your choice instead and skip the Parmesan altogether, but that would be difficult unless you cannot tolerate cheese or you are a vegan. Perhaps a sprinkling of nutritional yeast could be a good vegan alternative? 


Creamy Kale with Parmesan and Pine Nuts 
Adapted and translated from ICA, a Swedish grocery store

Ingredients:

2 cloves of garlic
1/3-1/2 cup pine nuts 
2 oz Parmesan cheese, whole 
300 g chopped black kale (approx 4 cups)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/3 cup cream (heavy whipping cream, or half and half, your choice)
1/8-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper 
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Roast pine nuts in a hot, dry pan until toasted. Set aside.
Chop or mince garlic. Set aside. 
Clean & chop kale, removing the thick, inner ribs. 
Shave Parmesan & set aside. 
Heat your skillet to medium heat & add oil. Sauté garlic & kale, adding a little salt & pepper as you go (approx 1/4 teaspoon of each).  
Add crushed red pepper & cream and allow to simmer until the liquid reduces and starts to take on a greenish tint. Stir often. Taste to see if more salt is needed but bear in mind the saltiness of the cheese. 
Top with shaved cheese & pine nuts. 


Serve with grilled sausages, vegetarian or otherwise, or toss with pasta for a delicious alternative. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment