Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Sweet Substitute





While I prefer steaming hot biscuits, freshly baked in my cast iron skillet, I have been trying to cut back on the breakfast goodies lately. (A.K.A. Scones, muffins, biscuits, pancakes, etc.). I've been trying to avoid other goodies as well and my efforts have resulted in my recent discovery of a new favorite snack/treat that is delicious, and amazingly satisfying to my stubborn sweet tooth. 

The first step that led to this discovery was my trying to find a healthier alternative to cinnamon and sugar toast. One morning I was really craving something sweet but wanted to avoid pulling out my flour, sugar and maple syrup. Then I had the brilliant idea to make cinnamon sugar toast and substitute honey for the sugar. It was completely yummy and satisfying. The next time I was making my weekday breakfast to take to work (an almond butter and honey sandwich) I decided that a “little sprinkle” of cinnamon on top of the almond butter and honey would merely increase the deliciousness, right? The answer is Yes, with a capital "Y!" 

My grandmother on my mom's side had a big sweet tooth, my dad has a big sweet tooth and I am sure I got my own sweet tooth down one of those heredity lines, if not both. There are some people who just don’t have that craving for sweets. I can’t really say if I envy them or not but I can say that rarely a day goes by that I do not think that a small, sweet treat would be good “right about now.” 
I just love dessert and I'd really love to eat a nice warm, gooey brownie, or a few squares of good quality dark chocolate each night after dinner. 

Instead of giving in to this whim however, I've discovered that a couple of whole grain digestives (biscuits) hit the spot if I simply cannot abstain from something sweet. There are some days however that even the subtle sweetness of these lovelies does not satisfy and chocolate or a scoop of ice cream must be had. But most days it satisfies my sweet tooth [monster]. (I’ve even been known to smear a layer of Nutella atop a digestive but even I can admit that this is definitely NOT a substitute for sweets, but the full-blown thing). 

I know that some people can eat a piece of fruit and that satisfies their sweet tooth but I personally need something with more texture and crunch. Maybe one day I will be able to join this fruit-eating-instead-of-dessert bunch but for now my two digestives, or my cinnamon, honey, almond butter toast are a good segue for me. 

What about you? Do you have a secret to satisfying your sweet cravings when you are trying to be good and avoid refined, sugary treats? I’d love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment