Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Homemade Rhubarb Pop-Tarts


Who doesn’t have a fond, childhood memory of Pop-Tarts? Maybe even a fond, adult memory of them? I was always a big fan until I discovered that they were made with high fructose corn syrup, among a long list of other ingredients that seemed a bit unnatural to me. Then I discovered a healthier version with Nature’s Path Organic, which made me really happy. I could now enjoy Pop-Tarts, a.k.a. toaster pastries, without feeling like I was betraying my goals of healthier eating. 


However, upon inspection and comparison of this new, more, "healthy version" with the original Pop-Tart (on a mountain bike trip out to west Texas with my husband and a friend of ours) the total sugar was actually [slightly] higher in the Nature’s Path version (frowny face). Well...  you can’t win them all! I still love knowing that there is a version of my beloved, childhood favorite, made with healthier, organic ingredients, and I will eat them as often as I please.


Only, in Sweden, "as often as I please," isn't as often as I'd like, as it isn't so often that I obtain "access" to them. Last Christmas one of my dear friends in Texas sent me not one, but two boxes of my favorite Nature’s Path, unfrosted, blueberry, toaster pastries. I was in heaven. And I still am actually. I save them for special occasions, or mornings when I am especially longing for something to remind me of my old home. It always helps. Thanks again, D!


Unfortunately, I am now down to one pack of two pastries. Why not try making them myself? Funny you ask... after a previous post on my blog, Finding Happy in 365 Days, a friend suggested I make my own. I am just now getting around to that, after nearly a year! Well, as they say, better late than never. And I must add that I will be making these often! While, they are a tad more buttery and rich than the organic, Nature’s Path version (I may have to work on a healthier crust), they are absolutely divine and will definitely suffice until I can restock my beloved, blueberry toaster pastries ;-).




For the rhubarb filling I placed approximately two cups of chopped and peeled rhubarb, fresh from N & K's garden here in Sweden (thank guys!), in a small simmer pot with a couple of tablespoons of water and several tablespoons of sugar. I allowed it to cook down, stirring and tasting often, and adding a bit more sugar to balance out the sour taste of the rhubarb. I then used approximately 1 tablespoon of rhubarb "jam" per pastry. Delicious!

A summer "kid" enjoying rhubarb fresh from the garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment