Thursday, May 30, 2013

Be Comforted


Some days you just need comfort food. Food that warms your soul, feeds your spirit, and invigorates your tastebuds. For me the kinds of food that have this effect on me are mostly related to the southern and Mexican varieties. Today I decided that good, old, southern cornbread was going to be my comforter. Only with a special twist. I decided to try using filmjölk (buttermilk in English) instead of regular milk and I threw in some leftover diced, green chilies, a big handful of grated, cheddar cheese, and a heavy turn of the pepper mill to give it a flavor kick.

When you experiment with recipes, you never know how it will turn out but I was in one of those moods. I used a muffin tin instead of my trusty, cast, iron skillet because I really like the idea of being able to freeze the leftover muffins for quick, easy to thaw snacks later on, when that hankering for comfort food starts in on me again. The batter turned out very thick and sticky, almost like drop biscuits, but once I placed the pan in the oven the muffins began to rise beautifully, filling in the muffin forms, and eventually turning a lovely, golden brown on top. I did turn the pan once about half way through baking to keep the color even. 

I took them out of the oven at just over fifteen minutes and they were perfect. Crispy on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside. Of course I broke one open immediately and slathered it with butter. But being the nice person that I am I took half of it upstairs to my husband who was piddling at his computer. And being the mischievous person that I am, I proceed back downstairs where I ate another whole one, all by myself. Yes, piggy, mom. 

I dare you to try this recipe and not act exactly as I did. Especially if it has been one of those comfort-food-needing days. ;-)

Buttermilk Corn Muffins with Green Chilies and Cheddar

1 C Cornmeal (I like Bob’s Redmill)
1/2 C Regular flour
1/2 C Whole wheat flour (or you can skip the regular flour and use 1 C whole wheat flour)
1 Tbsp Sugar (optional)
1/2 Tsp Salt
4 Tsp Baking powder
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 C Melted and cooled butter
1 C Buttermilk 

1/2 Can diced green chillies (or more!)
1/2 C Shredded cheddar cheese
10 Heavy turns of your black pepper mill

Preheat oven to 425F (or 220C).

Mix all dry ingredients with a whisk to incorporate the baking powder and salt. 
Add the beaten egg and buttermilk at the same time. 
Slowly add the melted butter, being careful to not over mix the batter. 
Gently fold in the chillies, cheese and pepper. 

Pour into a prepared muffin tin* (buttered or lined with paper liners).
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

*Alternatively, you can bake the cornbread in an 8x8 inch baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Eat. 

Enjoy. 

Be comforted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment